Monday, August 13, 2012

How do I look?


A while ago, I'm not sure when, I became unconcerned with my appearance.

Let me be more specific...I became unconcerned with what others think of my appearance.

I like to be comfortable.  I gave up a "traditional" office job years ago.  Before yoga, I was a nanny.  My uniform for years has been comfortable clothes.  I never worried about how I looked when I went to the gym (that was a long time ago!).  And as a yoga student, I never bothered with my appearance.  I was going to practice yoga, not host a TV show.  All I needed was clothes I could move in. 

As a business owner, it feels tricky sometimes.  I am the face of Sanctuary Power Yoga.  I do care about how I look - I want people to see the healthy, happy person that I am.  My clothes don't always reflect this.  I have spots on alot of things from my dogs & my son.  It's ok - I like not being concerned when things gets stained.  It's not important.  What I wear shouldn't matter.  It's what's on the inside that counts.  But I care about myself - my health & well being & I want people to see this. 

First impressions do matter & many people, unfortunately, judge a book by it's cover.  I have sometimes have conversations with myself (or my husband) as I'm leaving the house..."can I wear this?  do I look messy?  do I look silly?  do I care?"

You see how it gets tricky...

People come into the studio in all kinds of clothes.  Some spend alot of money on expensive yoga clothes.  Some come in their gym clothes.  Some come in pajamas.  Does it matter?  Do fancy clothes equal a better yoga practice?  All that matters is that you show up on your mat.  And what you & your practice look like - well, as long as you feel good about it, that's all that matters.

And this is usually where I find myself as I am leaving the house.  If I feel good about myself...if I am going out to have fun with my family - well, that's all that matters.  And hopefully the strangers that I meet will see my happy, healthy self shining through from behind the stains.

You can now find my blog at the Register Citizen: http:http://www.registercitizen.com/blogs/life/




1 comment:

  1. Love this! I might have already mentioned to you that I also have a blog (I'm hardly ever serious though). I've written twice about yoga - especially about my difficulty getting over my self-consciousness and preoccupation with how I look.
    Here's some links if you have time:
    http://notquiteold.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/do-these-yoga-plants-make-my-asana-look-fat/
    http://notquiteold.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/not-quite-old-yoga/
    Nancy Roman

    ReplyDelete