Monday, March 11, 2013

10 Practical Tips to a Successful Practice

1.  Know where you're going
I'll admit, I get a little nuts about this.  I like to take a look at mapquest first, because my GPS has been know to make mistakes.  I like to be sure I'm going to the correct place & know where to park, if that's an issue.

2.  Arrive early
Especially if you're new to a studio, leave yourself enough time (15-20 minutes) to get oriented to the studio.  To talk to the teacher or whoever is manning the desk & get your questions answered.  There's usually a waiver to fill out & that takes time too.  Be considerate.

3.  Invest in a good mat
There's nothing that will complicate your practice faster than a cheap, slippery mat.  I've had countless students buy bargain mats at big box stores, only to wind up investing in a good mat after a couple of slippery practices.  I'm a huge fan of the Jade travel mat - you stick to it & it's easy to clean.  And the Manduka ProLite is great too (it's more expensive, but come with a lifetime warranty)

4.  If you have a serious injury, let the teacher know.
Teachers like to assist students - they like to help students find stability in poses & get more out of the practice.  But if you have an injury, an assist can make your injury worse & make a teacher feel like they've hurt you, rather than helped you.

5. Be prepared - take a mat, towel & water.

6.  Hydrate
What more can I say...hydrate.

7.  Listen to your body.
I've heard stories of teachers banging on bathroom doors telling students they need to come out & rejoin the class.  I prefer a more compassionate practice - a teacher is just a guide.  Even as a brand new student, no one knows your body better than you.

8.  Get a friend to commit with you
Like anything, if you have someone to help you along & motivate you, you'll be more inclined to stick with it.

9.  Be consistent
Patanjali says yoga is meant to be practiced with love, enthusiasm & consistency.  If you want real results - mental, phsyical & emotional, you need to practice several times a week.

10.  Have fun
Yes, yoga can be intense - especially if it's a heated, power class (like we offer at Sanctuary Power Yoga).  But it's also meant to be enjoyed.  Have fun.  Lighten up.  Don't worry about mastering it.  It's a practice after all.


  1. Hello ,
    I have read your all post on your blog,according to me this is one of best refrence to meditation mats sites in web. I hope you will post more best articles in future.
    You can also read my articles posting related to meditation mats

  2. You are pleased to know that stable matting require low bedding.