Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Facebook




In the beginning, I resisted Facebook.  I didn't really get it.  I didn't have time for it.  If I had time, I wanted to connect with people in person, or at least on the phone.

Then I opened Sanctuary Power Yoga (www.sanctuarypoweryoga.com), and everything I read & everyone I talked to pointed to Facebook as a powerful (mostly free) tool to market your business.

I complained a lot about Facebook.  I didn't understand it (I'm still not sure I do).  There was no instruction manual (aside from google - I complained about that too).  I whined because no one liked us.  (we've come a long way since then!) If it weren't for the studio, I would have jumped ship on FB a long time ago.

Honestly, I still don't really get Facebook.  Yes, it's nice to see what friends across the country are doing (and by friends, I mean real friends - people I have met in person).  It's easy to send someone a message.  To track down someone you've lost touch with.  And of course, it's still mostly free to post about your business.

But given free time, I would rather grab a coffee with a friend.  I'd rather call up a friend across the country, even if I just get her voicemail - at least I get to hear her voice.  I'd rather read a book to our son, or talk to my husband, or do laundry or dishes (well, maybe not dishes).

Facebook gives the illusion of connecting with people.  But I believe real connection happens in the moment.  In being present.  In person, when possible.  The ability to look someone in the eyes when you are talking to them.  To touch them.  That is real connection.  And I also believe that this is what we need more of in our world.

That's one of the reasons I opened Sanctuary Power Yoga & it's one of the many things I love about it.  I see people come in as strangers, practice next to each other day after day, and then one day...they find they are friends.  The studio fosters connection & community & we all benefit from that.  I think many of us take that feeling of connection & carry it out into the world with us.  And we find ourselves making more personal connections in other places - work, the store, on the street.

More personal connection.  More eye contact.  More touch.  Yes, I realize the irony of this post, as many of you are probably reading it on FB.  But after this, try it.  Let your interactions today be more personal.  Make a connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment