Wednesday, March 9, 2016

What I learned from Skiing




My family started skiing last year.  We only skied a few times last year, but we've been skiing more this year...well, as much as the winter has allowed.

This year I noticed that when I ski down the mountain, I'm leaning back in my boots.  When really, it feels like I should be leaning forward.

I know I'm leaning back because I don't want to go fast.  And, to be totally honest, I don't want to fall.

So basically, I'm skiing down the mountain, leaning back & resisting every moment of it & thinking about not wanting to fall.

If you've ever read any of my other blogs, you know I fully believe in the Law of Attraction.  So...what comes to mind when you read that?

Skiing downhill, leaning back, thinking about not falling.

I'm an accident waiting to happen:)

Ok, so there's the Law of Attraction piece. If I don't want to fall, I need to stop thinking about falling.

The bigger piece for me is leaning back.  Because we do it with so many things in in our life.  Lean back, pull back, dig in & create more tension than there needs to be.  That's exactly what I'm doing when I'm skiing.  I'm creating excessive & unnecessary resistance.  I also heard my fellow teacher, Melissa Pressmar (balancewithinyou.net), describe it as stretching a rubber band.  The more you pull back (whether it be from a situation or a person that you have to deal with) the more tension you create.  You keep stretching that rubber band until it's super tight...or it snaps.

But if you lean into it a bit. Soften. Relax. Then you can ski gracefully down the mountain.

I've had a few runs like that.  And I do like skiing, so I'm going to keep at it. Because really, it's just another opportunity to practice my yoga off my mat.


No comments:

Post a Comment