Wednesday, March 23, 2016

What's the Big Deal?





What's the big deal about yoga?

It sure seems like a big deal.  Studios popping up everywhere, conferences & festivals & fundraisers, websites & blogs about it (like this one).

It appears to be a big deal for a lot of people.

Yoga is a big deal for me.

I practice asana (poses) & pranayama (breath work) every day. I do my best to practice the yamas & niyamas every day & to use the principles of the Yoga Sutras. Yoga has helped me change the way I move through my life.  So yeah, it's a big deal for me.

But maybe it's not a big deal for you. Maybe you just drop in for a class now & then. Maybe you've only watched a video on youtube or heard friends talk about it. Maybe you're thinking "what is the big deal?!".

There's a lot to be gained from the practice of yoga...whatever type of yoga you practice. There's a lot to learn - a lot I still have to learn.

So if it's not a big deal to you, well then, no big deal.

But consider this...if you feel better when you step on your mat, or better yet, when you step off your mat after you've practiced, that's enough. That in & of itself is a pretty big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment