Saturday, September 10, 2011

Where were you?

I remember when I was young, and my mother would talk about the day President Kennedy was shot.  Whenever she talked about it, she always said she could remember where she was & what she was doing.  She said that was something she would never forget.

At the time, I don't think I got it.  For a long time, I don't think I got it.

Then September 11th, 2001 happened.  I remember, like many of you I'm sure, where I was & what I doing on that day.  When I first heard the news of what had happened & as events unfolded.

I remember the sorrow.  I remember the fear & uncertainty & the disbelief.  I remember the anger.

When I remember what happened, my heart goes out to all those who were lost that day.  My heart goes out to all those who lost someone that day.  My heart goes out to all those who were touched by what happened that day.

When I remember that day, my heart is filled with sorrow for the past....and my heart grows & expands & is filled joy & hope for the future.

As a teacher & student of yoga, Sept 11th reminds me that we can remember what happened, and remember all that was felt.  But also that we can let go of the anger & the fear & open our hearts to love.

Anger & fear divide us.  Divide us from one another & from our true selves.  They encourage more fear & more anger & eat away at us.

Opening our hearts to love, means opening our hearts to others, and reminds us that we are more alike than different.  Opening our hearts reminds us that we are all beings of love & light.  And that we need one another to survive.

Today, and every day, practice opening your heart.  Love yourself.  Send an offering of love to those in need.  Send an offering of love to people you know & people you don't.  To people who you like & love.  And people who you don't.

"Love & compassion are necessities, not luxuries.  Without them humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

You can now find my blog at the Register Citizen: http:http://www.registercitizen.com/blogs/life/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment