Saturday, April 14, 2012

How does it make you feel?

I feel very lucky in writing my blog because most of the time, it flows effortlessly for me.  Someone says something or I have a thought & it sparks an idea, which then blossoms into a blog post.  I know it's right, because it does flow & it feels good.  I'm connected with Source, I open myself up to whatever is out there, and before I know, the blog is finished.  It's very similar to the way I teach.  And it feels good.

Today, as I was about to get on my mat to practice, my Mother told me about something that was going to be on TV later in the day & it sparked something in me.  As I started my practice, thoughts came together & I was writing my blog in my head.  I paused on my mat, and typed my blog out on my phone.  It didn't take long & when I was finished, I went right back to my practice.

As I practiced, what I had written stayed with me...which is unusual, because usually once I write it down, I let it go.  But I kept coming back to what I had written & it felt it off - I felt off.  I felt off-balance & almost angry.  And I finally realized that I written a rant, rather than a blog.

Now, I know alot of blogs out there are exactly that - rants.  Usually about things that the blogger doesn't like.  And that's fine for them.  But for me, I try to make my blogs about what I want to see more of.  It's the Law of Attraction...I hope & believe that if I write about good things that are going on (like practicing yoga & taking that practice off your mat), then maybe it will lead to more people feeling better & doing better & maybe the world will become a better place.  And I use how I feel when I write as my guidance system - if it doesn't feel good, it probably isn't a good idea.  And if I don't feel good, I try to think about & reach for something that feels better.

So as I continued to practice, I realized that in what I had just written there was alot of focus on the negative.  Things that I think are wrong.  And writing them all down just made me feel worse...a little angry, a little off-balance.  And it took me almost my whole practice to work out those feelings.

In talking with a student not long ago, she started to tell me about some trouble she was having with her computer.  And then she stopped abruptly & pretty much said she didn't need to elaborate & go into detail about...it was enough to say that it had left her feeling overwhelmed.  She got it.  She recognized in that moment that if she brought the whole thing up again & went into details about everything that had happened & gone wrong - she was going to feel lousy & overwhelmed again...just as she had at the time when she had the problem with her computer.  She chose instead to stop & re-align her energy.  She kept it simple.  She was having a good day, she'd just had a good practice - she was feeling good & wanted to keep it that way.  Enough said.

And so it was the same with what I had written.  My intention in writing was to spark some positive energy in the people who would read it.  But I realized that if it was mostly negative & made me feel bad, it probably wasn't going to make anyone else feel good.

So I've left what I wrote where it is - saved on my phone.  Until I figure out a way to turn it around & re-align the energy of it so that it feels productive & good.

And instead, I wrote this.  And this flowed easily & it feels good.  I know that sometimes you do need to talk about bad things that have happened.  That you need to release them from your heart & spirit & body & that the only way to do so is to talk about it.  And I respect that.

But I also know that repeating the same negative story over & over & over again, just brings me back to the way I felt at the time...not good.  And I want to feel good.  I want to be happy.  We all do.

So next time you start to think or talk about things that aren't right, take a moment & see how you feel.  How you feel before you shift your attention to the negative.  If you're having a good moment & feel good - stay with it, enjoy it.  If you're feeling not-so-great, instead of lowering your energy even more - reach for thoughts & words & images that make you feel better.  This is what the practice of yoga is all about.  Feeling better.  And you can practice it anywhere, anytime.

You can now find my blog at the Register Citizen: http:http://www.registercitizen.com/blogs/life/

No comments:

Post a Comment